Tuesday, March 9, 2010

How not to get pissed off / No b*tching here please!

PERSONAL RANT:

So it dawned on me yesterday that I MIGHT BE THE ONE WITH THE PROBLEM!!Take the poll with me and you might probably agree:
Within one day, This Guy i share a work cubicle with, majorly pissed me off, as in really, in my mind i must have rammed a fat stick into his teeth a hundred times! Then my pal at work had pissed me off since friday and we were still not on talking terms! I thought the whole thing was starting to get really childish. I mean, i was the one he pissed off, i was the one who should be receiving apologies and appeasing ice cream and donuts! Instead, he was zoning me off! It made the situation worse, because now i couldn't rant to him about my cubicle mate whom i was mad at! Do you see where i'm going?

Then a call from my dad pissed me off, then the parking attendants really pissed me off telling me that i have to find a new parking position (FYI i have been parking in that spot for over two years!). I concluded that i was having a really shitty day, but things would get better. But get this crowning making of matters worse.

I was driving home, then a guy on a bike (Okada in Naija Lingua!), runs into my car and dislodges my fender! That was just the height of it. In true Nigerian style, i blew my top and made a scene right there on the road. Well it shouldn't have been much of a scene if the guy would have just agreed with my simple suggestion. Which was: I seized his bike keys, returned to my car, gave him my office address and directed him to come the office the next day (i.e today) to foot the bill for fixing the car. Simple right? Now instead of agreeing, he himself got pissed and started making a scene!!What is wrong with all this people!!!I am the aggrieved party here! You have no right to be mad! You should be apologizing and trying to appease me!!But instead, two royally pissed off are screaming people on the road and gathering a crowd, until i (the sensible one)realize that my throat was starting to get sore from all the talking. So i pocket his keys, reverse and leave him screaming behind. Oh, he followed after me for a mile (because there was some traffic), but there was no way i was going to budge! I still have his keys right here on my desk as i write;) Anyway, that about ended my really rotten day. Its a brand new day, i should be calmer yeah? Except that i suspect i'm starting to see a repeat pattern! Oh god, talk about ground hogg day!

So, i put it to me that, i might just be the one with the problem here. Hence, i will begin walking on pins and needles. I will keep my mouth sealed. If anybody talks nonsense, i just plaster a smile. (Think Ally Mcbeal) Infact, i will keep that smile plastered all day long. I'm considering getting one of those costume party masks. Mine would be a large smiling face. Maybe that would help me get through the day.

7 comments:

  1. Lol, i agree with ur opening statement....reminds me of something my pastor says "if u're always getting into it (arguments/grudges/fights) with everybody....u might just be the one with the problem....so check yourself!"
    must be really frustrating though... to have all these happen to you in one day!...i'd probably cry if i'd been in your shoes.
    Hopefully the Okada man (lol) gets your car fixed asap....& u mend things with your pal at work.
    & yeah u can't go wrong with a huge smiling face :)hope u have a great day at work today.
    overall, nicely written note. i like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humour is reason gone mad...and I laughed a little when I read this. U're not mad. It isn't just u. Lagos life is a pressure cooker. Adjust and learnt to deal with it the best u can...u will meet mad men like that fender bender that deserve the riot act...but remember it is their stupidity that stop such men from going mad.

    Focus on what is important...shrug off that which isn't...

    p.s
    Ranting is fine but bitching aint cute

    ReplyDelete
  3. @folami. Like a blogger friend once wrote, i'm simply "not forgetting to breathe", so i'm taking gradual breathes, and thus far, its midday and day's been smooth without the facemask;)Oh and i did write a bit this morning, which is usually therapeutic . (Shoot, i can't spell without my M.S Word!)
    As4 the okada guy, he didn't show up!I didn't expect any better. Though i'd decided that if he came, i'd let him off the hook.
    I'd sent the car off to the fixer in the morning;will get a large chunk of icecube to cool off wallet/bank account- it didn't quite bugdet this. Grrr.
    Thanx4 dropping by;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ ShubbyDoo: Lol@Lagos life is a pressure cooker.You can say that a gazillion times!
    Thanx Jare!
    Checked out ur space. Jeez, not bad@all!You need2 do some major updating, unless if you're one of the "drifted ones"? Wonder if i do know the face behind the blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol @ smiling face mask...i reckon you are better now, forgive me for just now going through your blog, fantastic stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @neefemi: Ok, you've now made me a faithful follower of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "appeasing ice cream and donuts!" lmao. What are you like 10? I know that that day sucked, royally, but it was so funny. Hopefully, you've had better days since then.

    ReplyDelete