Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just a Spoonful of Dildo...Sorry Dido! (T.Notes Rambles2)


See first part here.



Mary’s in India
It was just recently I was told that in this song, she was saying “Danny”, not “Daddy”. This was four years after I had overkilled the cd, and I was having my “OMG Moment”! It’s a sort of sad story of three people-two women and a man. Oh, I also love the fact that she uses matured people for her songs, makes moi feel involved. Ehmmm,it’s a little hard to reckon with Justin Biener these days!

Anyways, the story is, Danny was dating Mary, but Mary’s a free spirit so she leaves him and backpacks to India with no forewarning. Danny’s heartbroken and in the process turns to Dido –Mary’s friend for consolation. We get the impression which she doesn’t say expressly that consolation leads to something else, which in my opinion just serves Mary right!

Danny is lonely
Mary's in India now
She said she'd call but that was three weeks ago
She left all her things well, her books and her letters from him
But as the sun rises on Mary, it sets on him

Danny's not eating, he's drinking and sleeping
I saw him last night at party, he's definitely thin

Danny came over last night and I cooked for him
He talked about you Mary and how much we loved you still
He told me he's packed up your books and your letters and things
But as the sun sets on Mary, it's rising on him

And we danced, and we drank
And I've seen something you probably never got the chance to see
Don't worry, Mary
Cause I'm taking care of Danny
And he's taking care of me


I absolutely love the end!!!Its like Dido winks at Mary and says “don’t worry, I’m “taking” care of danny for you”!Question is, what exactly is taking care!!!
Sigh, this song resonated for me in the 90s. Sort of funny now that I reminisce. My very very good friend (Mary here) packed up and left without warning. I became the danny, and for me, ehmmm, Dido was her sister. Long story, which I choose not to tell incase she reads this page!!!!Do LDR’s really really ever work out??I have my doubts, at least from my experiences. Not that it isn’t possible, its just that…well, Mary’s all the way in India, India for heaven’s sake!!!

See the sun again
Wow. Can I even begin to talk about this??The title is explanatory enough. It was a bonus track on the life for rent album. If you haven’t heard it, rush to youtube now, or as we say in lasgidi, get ya copy nowww!!!
See the sun again is a song of hope. I have sang it for what, ten years now???I have sang it when I lay in bed physically sick, sang it in times of heart ache, sang it as I walked towards a killer exam hall, countless times I have included it into my gospel et motivational repertoire and therein encouraged myself. Need I say more but drop the full lyrics:

I'm comin' 'round to open the blinds
You can't hide here any longer
My God you need to rinse those puffy eyes
You can't last here any longer

And yes they'll ask you where you've been
And you'll have to tell them again and again

And you probably don't want to hear tomorrow's another day
Well I promise you you'll see the sun again
And you're asking me why pain's the only way to happiness
And I promise you you'll see the sun again

Come on take my hand
We're going for a walk, I know you can
You can wear anything as long as it's not black
Please don't mourn forever
She's (or it’s) not coming back

And yes they'll ask you where you've been
And you'll have to tell them again and again

And you probably don't want to hear tomorrow's another day
Well I promise you you'll see the sun again
And you're asking me why pain's the only way to happiness
And I promise you you'll see the sun again
And I promise you you'll see the sun again

Do you remember telling me you found the sweetest thing of all
You said one day this was worth dying for
So be thankful you knew her at all
But it's no more

And you probably don't want to hear tomorrow's another day
Well I promise you you'll see the sun again
And you're asking me why pain's the only way to happiness
And I promise you you'll see the sun again
And I promise you you'll see the sun again
And I promise you you'll see the sun again
And I promise you you'll see the sun again
I promise you you'll see the sun again

See the sun again
See the sun again
See the sun again


FINALE!!!!Don’t leave home!!!!
This is no revelation; it’s however my own tiny pun!!!My connotation is not encouraging you “not to leave home”, instead I am saying “LEAVE HOMEEEEE!”
For my fellow Nigerians who have hope for this country, I guess we will butt heads in another post-maybe you might infect some of it on me. Because as for me and the things I have seen, my hope for this our dear land diminishes everyday and I dare say the song I sing is not “Don’t leave home”, instead its sadly “Please leave home”! Its not the finest conclusion,and I have had this sort of conversation with many of my friends whom we have traveled and returned with the hope of settling back at home thinking, “Lets give back to home, things will be better”. And time after time, I have taken poll and am yet to see one who hasn’t rescinded that decision.

The premise of this particular impression is the floods that covered Victoria island (Lagos) yesterday after a day of heavy rains. Mind you, Victoria island is supposedly the choicest locations in las gidi, yet we were more or the outsiders living in Noah’s floods yesterday! I could put a picture next time, but picture the mental image of water going right up to the bonnet of your car-right in the middle of the most commercial districts!!! I don’t know where we are going!!!!!!
Somebody give me hope for this country, as mine trickles to trite insignificance.

6 comments:

  1. I really liked what you did with this, i love Dido although i don't think i have ever looked at her wok so introspectively...p.s you age yourself in this post, lol...But this was well done. I am in Houston and its been raining heavy for the past couple days and the roads are flooded, not to say thats an excuse but it happens. with that said, i hope we can all find faith in Nigeria, i really do want to live there and have my kids grow up there and see our nation become the Giant of the world it was meant to be. I guess we keep praying

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot, that's a long post!!!Sorta knowingly buried it with the later.
    Age myself?Yiish,hope i didnt?Oh well,it'll still be guess work.
    Yeah i guess floods could maybe b considered as normal, but if u add that to the myraid of a million other things that aren't going right...makes u wonder about this hope we keep holding on to4 this country.
    You heard about the 10billionNaira budget for 50th anniversary?What really are we even celebrating???
    My few cents...and thats y i rather not discus National issues--its pissing.
    T.NOTES

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lool. its funny you shoud put those two songs back to back TNotes.
    I think they go perfectly together.
    One is hopeful and the other is pleading and rmba what you said,
    "Hope is waiting for the sun to shine again..someday"

    So this is me, the eternal optimist about Nigeria, hoping and praying you can at least find SOMETHING to believe in, cause if we dont do sth about it, who will??



    Ok that is not what I originally wanted to comment about but now..I have forgotten..

    Oh wells...

    PS. I LOVE DIDO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Fabulo-la:Right on,at my Dido comrade!Funny,wasn't even thinking of the irony in the two songs. I guess life's just like that atimes: quietfully retrospective one minutes,then a song of hope springs the next!

    Oh thou Fatherland eternal optimist,where do u reside?Within the painful shores or do u hold on hope from a distant land?!!!lol!Irony!

    P.S. I double love Dido!
    T.Notes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lool! yes I know the irony is painfully glaring.
    Bt that doesnt mean I cant be optimistic now does it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Fabulo-la: Lol!No intention to damper your optimism. We afterall need plenty of ur kind to survive/thrive n keep singing us songs of hope!;-)
    Hope away!I'll be egging you on!!!
    T.Notes

    ReplyDelete