Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just a Spoonfull of Dildo...Sorry Dido! (T.Notes Rambles1)


Open P.S: When “y”ou read this,I honestly am not insinuating anything other than the obvious rambling. If I am, promise I will let “y”ou know face to face, or well, most literally!
P.S2: Long Post warning, but settle down and do read every bit.


That said: Growing up, I was a big fan of Dido-the artiste not the instrument with an l.Forgive the word play*wink*. In this little post, I will talk abit of three of my fav songs in what I consider to be her most excellent album, then at the finale, I will make the insignificant point I set out to divulge in the first place with this post.

I like dido cos she has an awesome voice, she’s smart (I have a weakness for smart chics)and the lyrics of her songs beg you to reach deep to understand what she’s saying. Suffice to say, in my opinion a lot of music to me is just trifle water passing under a minor bridge, but I certainly appreciate an artist/artiste who reaches for my intelligence and speaks soul-to-soul. Dido does just that, at least for me. The symbolism in her songs is hidden in subtle lyrics. So when you listen to a dido track, first off, all you’re hearing is a seemingly good song, until you’ve heard long enough that your mind slowly starts to unravel subtext-then you get a dawning at 2am and you jerk out in laughter! Or,for her other such songs that just quietly give you a hope(Selah).I don’t know where dido’s faith lies, but for me, her pen has spoken loud enough its resonated in my faith…hmmm,maybe as of lifeless stones speaking, I do not judge. Follow me through on this one, hopefully I will shed some of the same light I got from them five years ago.

My pick songs are:
See you when you’re forty
Mary’s in India
Bonus track: See the sun again.
Don’t leave home.



See you when you’re forty!
Ever been with someone who thought he/she was all that??And you blindly got strung along until you wake up one day to realize, wait a minute, I am better than this!!!That’s the surmise of this song for me.
Matured Woman was dating a guy and somewhere along the line something goes sour which she doesn’t expressly say. But in response, she puts pen to paper and completely disses the guy-that is the whole song. It’s a sarcastic play on words, diss after diss, the kinds that you’d be stupidly smiling along, taking them for compliments until sometime much later you realize, WHAT,she didn’t just say that?!!!

You think that you are complicated, deep mystery to all
Well it's taken me a while to see, you're not so special
All energy no meaning, with a lot of words
So paper thin that one real feeling, could knock you down

So see me when your 40, lost and all alone
being comforted by strangers you'll never need to know
not sad because you lost me
but sad because you thought it was cool to be sad

You think misery will make you stand apart from the crowd
well if you had walked past me today I wouldn't have picked you out

now I've seen, tonight, how I could waste my time
and I'll be on my way, and I won't be back
cos I've seen, tonight, what I've been warned about
your just a boy, not a man, and I'm not coming back


This song brings memories. Way back in undergrad school, at some point, I used to drive my sister to law school which was close to my faculty. We’d have this song blaring and we’d be screaming the lyrics at the top of our lungs. Lol, we pretty much considered our selves then wiser than the average who couldn’t for the life understand what beauty we saw in the song. The pun in the song (for me) is ….See you when you’re forty, i.e See you when your intelligence/maturity is close enough to mine, maybe then we can talk. I’ve been at both ends of the stick. I’ve been the silly guy who thoughT he was all that n a bag of chips, super smart and way intelligent than everybody else. These lyrics repeatedly helped knock me off my high horse in those days. I’ve also (ouch), been the duffus who was being taken for a ride until I was able to discover my own self and stand tall. These are parts of the reason why I have such a big mouth today. Know who you are, appreciate you for what you’re worth. And anybody who doesn’t like it, can (LOL), go knack head for transformer!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment